overlay of circuit board mounting holes on chassis

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Gary

overlay of circuit board mounting holes on chassis

Post by Gary »

I can create a dxf file of my circuit board and overlay the board onto the hole pattern in the bottom of the chassis in a separate CAD drawing for CAD packages that I have used previously. This allows me to make certain that the mounting holes on my circuit board align exactly with the mounting holes on the bottom of my chassis.

However, I don't know how to overlay my board dxf file with the CAD drawing created by the Protocase package to check the alignment of my board mounting holes with the standoffs in the bottom of my chassis. I don't mind a tedious approach, if that is what is required.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Gary

steve.manley

Re: overlay of circuit board mounting holes on chassis

Post by steve.manley »

Hi Gary;

As you have surmised, there is no magic way to line things up perfectly.

The general technique is to measure a center line from your connectors to the board bottom, where it will sit on top of the pems. From there this will give you an offset from the case.

We are working on a tutorial to do this step by step with a few different case designs to simplify the process from this conceptual stage to manufacturing.

In the interim, if you have some doubts, take your best stab at it and send your files (DXF) in after placing your order and one of our CAD techs will happily assist in making sure the drawings line up. Alternatively, you can mail us your board, and we can do the measurements and verification in an appropriately ESD controlled environment.

Hope that helps!

Steve