Personal Template

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Ti-Paul

Personal Template

Post by Ti-Paul »

I've searched through the online documentation and this forum but didn't found answer to it.

I managed to add a PDA file to my personal library through the Library Manager.

When a start the NEW project, i see it listed under Personal Template but all properties of it are fixed (except for MetalFinish and DesignClassifications). So i cannot adjust depth and else... ?

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Personal Template

Post by mpyne »

Hey Ti-Paul,

I don't think there is any restriction on the parameters of person templates. I'll double-check though. I am curious, how did you make the template?

Matt

Ti-Paul

Post by Ti-Paul »

Hi Matt,

We already have a 1U rackmount product that Protocase designed for us in the past (200mm depth).
Since we only had the standard 3D files (.step, ..) we couldn't design our new one based on it from PD.
So i started from scratch with a 5-Sided Enclosure + Seam Welds Template with 1U 400mm depth sizes and hoped that Protocase could use it to transpose it to our previous design.

I've then sent this .PDA file to Protocase for review.
But recently, someone from Protocase design team sent me a .PDA file of our previous rackmount chassis. So i can try transfer my new design on our previous one..

So I added this file to my Personal Library and when starting a NEW design or doing a Transfer, i'm stuck with half the depth i need..

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hey Ti-Paul,

Thanks for the update, it helps me understand what is happening. So if you got a PDA from our design services team they may have made a Fixed Template. Fixed Templates are normally used when an aspect of the design can't be replicated in Protocase Designer directly or easly. The unfortunate thing about Fixed Templates is you can only change the "Metal Type", "Metal Thickness", and cutouts, graphics, etc on faces.

The Transfer Assembly feature in PD is a good option and might get you a design where you can adjust the dimensional parameters of the enclosure.

We are planning out a new service were we create Variable Templates for customers. If this sounds like something that might work for you ask our sales team.

Matt

Ti-Paul

Post by Ti-Paul »

OK thanks for the explanation.

Now i know why it is a fixed template... this enclosure had fans cutout that were too close to the top and bottom, so we had to add cuts to the top/bottom edges in order to fit them (see picture).. that must be why...

Only surface finish can be changed. Metal is fixed to 0.051 ALU as per our original design.

We also had bent flanged at the front so the cover bents slides into front pannel bents... but with the template, we lost them.. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 10.40.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 10.40.58 AM.png (191.1 KiB) Viewed 10008 times