Protocase Designer Hangs

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

SandyThom

Protocase Designer Hangs

Post by SandyThom »

Hi,

I have tried downloading and using Protocase Designer for the first time today. Followed the installation instructions, everything seemed to go well. However, when I try to create a new design from a template (U-Case or L-Case) I just get a spinning wheel. Did leave it a fair length of time just in case, but no progress. The UI remained responsive to the CANCEL button.

The debug.X.log files complain about not being able to load various libraries (soutFailedLibraries [Failed loading libTKGeomAlgo.so.7.4.0 ...)

I am running OpenSUSE Leap 15.2. I know you test on Ubuntu but happy to do some legwork to diagnose / resolve if you can give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks and regards

Sandy

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Protocase Designer Hangs

Post by mpyne »

Hey Sandy,

Sorry to hear Protocase Designer is not running for you. Currently linux support is minimal. We now Ubuntu 18+ works with some caveats. One caveat is if freecad is installed. Since freecad uses the same dependencies as Protocase Designer there can be a version miss match in some of the library files.

I have not tried OpenSUSE yet and am not sure what could be wrong. You can run some analysis and potentially figure it out though.

Check if your system is missing a required library. You can do this using something like 'ldd' to see what dynamic links exist and if they are satisfied or not.

Next, there is chance this OpenSUSE versions requires a older version gcc to be used for its libraries. You can check using something like objdump -s --section .comment libTK** and check OpenSUSE documentation for your version.

Interested to hear back what you find out.

Best Regards,
Matt

SandyThom

Re: Protocase Designer Hangs

Post by SandyThom »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. I tried it on another OpenSUSE laptop, without FreeCAD installed. Success.

Best regards

Sandy