Linux version crashes, freshly installed

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

xaviergm

Linux version crashes, freshly installed

Post by xaviergm »

Good morning!
I installed Protocase Designer yesterday on Debian 10 (buster) with all packages up to date. It was working fine last night.
Today, after starting up my laptop again, it stopped working.
The only difference is that I installed FreeCAD as well. However, uninstalling FreeCAD and/or reinstalling Designer does not change the error message at all.

The error message says to contact www.azulsystems.com for support (?).
The error message I am getting is as follows:

Code: Select all

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000000005db66, pid=4619, tid=4653
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.45+27-CA (11.0.10+9) (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.45+27-CA (11.0.10+9-LTS, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  0x000000000005db66
#
# No core dump will be written. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /tmp/hs_err_pid4619.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://www.azulsystems.com/support/
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
/usr/local/bin/ProtocaseDesigner.sh: line 4:  4619 Aborted                 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/Protocase\ Designer/:/usr/local/lib/Protocase\ Designer/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib/Protocase\ Designer/jre/bin/java -jar /usr/local/lib/Protocase\ Designer/jdesigner.jar 2> ~/ProtocaseDesigner/error.log
Any hints as to how to solve it?

xaviergm

Re: Linux version crashes, freshly installed

Post by xaviergm »

I uninstalled all the FreeCAD dependencies at once and Designer works again.
Would be interesting to know which one causes the issue. I'll do further testing on this.

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Linux version crashes, freshly installed

Post by mpyne »

Hello xaviergm,

I think I know the issue. FreeCad uses the same CAD kernal as Protocase Designer and there is most likely conflicting versions that are trying to be loaded in to program memory. The JVM loads system files(.so) first. Than Protocase Designer loads its own dependencies. I believe FreeCad installs on the machine in such a way that CAD kernal files are in a default location on the system. Than when Protocase Designer is booted the JVM tries to load it's system files from that place than load Protocase Designer files. This results in conflicting versions of the same files.

I guess we could do a similar thing as FreeCad. But than we would be over writing FreeCad files and FreeCad probably wouldn't function anymore. I feel there must be a way to install FreeCad so it's isolated but am not sure.

Linux isn't that popular of a OS for Protocase Designer so any help from the community on how fix this is appreciated. :)

This doesn't seem to be an issue on Windows so there most be a way.

Matt