1U template - Unreachable Front Panel space

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Chris Knudsen

1U template - Unreachable Front Panel space

Post by Chris Knudsen »

Hi folks,

Unless the 1U Rackmount template has changed since I last ordered one of these: The bend flange, bending up from the bottom on the front edge, is not nearly as tall as shown in the cad drawing. In other words, the CAD model does not allow you to use a bit of the front panel (near the lower edge). The delivered enclosure shows a considerable amount of extra panel space that could hold more goodies.

The cad model has the front flange at 0.388" tall from the outside bottom.

My actual delivered box has the flange at 0.268" tall from the outside bottom.

That's an extra 0.1" (all along the bottom), where I could be paying to put more leds!
dollars_gone.png
dollars_gone.png (95.73 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Regards,

Chris
Rev 5.3.28, Win10

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: 1U template - Unreachable Front Panel space

Post by mpyne »

Hello Chris,

We are always updating our templates in order to improve their manufacturability so it's possibly the flanges changed size.

For your case am assuming our engineers updated the flanges sizes to reduce their size. I would have to look into this to find out more. Currently the default flange size for Protocase Designer's, Cold Rolled Steel 18g, is 0.388". I'll try and find out why your case had it's flanges updated.

Some information that you may find interesting. The flange size is based on the metal thickness and type. So as you adjust the Chassis Metal the flange size and the exclusion on the front plate should adjust as well. This is good but it has a limitations. Basically Protocase Designer doesn't actually know what tooling will be used for bending so it uses a "safe" size which will most likely be larger than needed.

Matt

Chris Knudsen

Re: 1U template - Unreachable Front Panel space

Post by Chris Knudsen »

I though this seemed familiar.

From May 2020, see:
1U Rackmount Default exclusion areas
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=544

I can certainly make-do the way it is.

I thought that you all would like to know that the physical enclosure that I had received has more room to play with than what was shown in the model (potentially giving your illustrious users the opportunity to add more widgets).

-Chris