Margin of error for cutout.

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

djtazzmtl

Margin of error for cutout.

Post by djtazzmtl »

Hi I see in the tutorials you create and measure the cutout to the exact measures of the component. For example if the potentiometers collar is 8mm are we expected to make the cutout exactly 8mm?

The pot will soldered on a PCB and sometimes the pots don't sit exactly perfect on the PCB. So I was wondering shouldn't we account for some margin of error? So in the case say make the cutout 9mm diameter so we have some leway to ensure the pot will mount?

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Margin of error for cutout.

Post by mpyne »

Hey djtazzmtl,

Most times you will need a tolerance on your cutouts.

Here is a link explaining our tolerances based on our machines. https://www.protocase.com/resources/tol ... tolerances

Pretty much every thing in Protocase Designer goes to the laser, pockets would go to the router, but normal cutouts will most likly make it's way to the laser. So based on the website a good tolerance is 0.005"|0.13mm but you may want to check your pots spec sheet to be sure.

Thanks,
Matt

djtazzmtl

Re: Margin of error for cutout.

Post by djtazzmtl »

Ok thanks. I gave myself .5mm The Pots will be soldered to the PCB and sometimes they don't sit exactly tight.

Anyways for first time design I think .5mm will help me sleep better lol
mpyne wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:01 am
Hey djtazzmtl,

Most times you will need a tolerance on your cutouts.

Here is a link explaining our tolerances based on our machines. https://www.protocase.com/resources/tol ... tolerances

Pretty much every thing in Protocase Designer goes to the laser, pockets would go to the router, but normal cutouts will most likly make it's way to the laser. So based on the website a good tolerance is 0.005"|0.13mm but you may want to check your pots spec sheet to be sure.

Thanks,
Matt