issues with Mini USB cutout

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

secarica

issues with Mini USB cutout

Post by secarica »

I created a standard 1U rack and need to place a "Mini - USB type B, Receptacle" cutout. However, upon placing, an error control tells me that CompositePath minimum dimension cannot be less than half the metal thickness: (0.024"). Click accept to proceed as is or reject to undo. [Accept]/[Reject]".

If I accept, then the cutout appears incomplete and in 3D view there is only a partial hole shown. On the face editor I must delete the remaining in two pass, one of the part being almost invisible (and I still don't know if any invisible garbage was left).

Happens the same on rear side as on the front side.

In the past I used this cutout without any issue, or at least I don't remember of any. It appears also that the existing Mini USB cutout from the old drawing has disappeared after opening it with version 5.1.0 (drawing from order # 46113 if I'm not mistaken).

:?:

Cristi

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: issues with Mini USB cutout

Post by mpyne »

Hello secarica,

yep I see the issue. We are planning to have a new build out this month with fixes the library. In the meantime I can send you fixed version of the cutout and just add it to your personal library to use.

Can you PM me so we can figure out how you want me to send it to you. I was thinking by email.

Matt

secarica

Post by secarica »

Just for info, in PD version 5.6.6 the default Mini USB library is still not fixed, or at least not completely fixed: when placing the Mini USB cutout, a warning still occurs (see snapshot), except that after ignoring the warning the resulting cutout seems to be ok in the final drawing.

I still have the patched library you sent to me at the time of my original posting here and it still works fine, so for me this is not a true issue – in a certain sense, on the contrary: between the two libraries (i.e. the default and the patched) there is a difference regarding the cutout origin (the red dot), in that on the default library the cutout origin is in the geometrical middle of the cutout, while on the patched library the cutout origin is on the "left" side at the junction between the larger and the smaller ovals; for a new drawing, the centre origin is preferred, but for one of my old drawing I just enter/keep the old offset coordinates and so the cutout goes to the exact same place as before.

Again, this is just for info :)

Cristi

protocase_designed_mini_usb_cutout_warning.png
protocase_designed_mini_usb_cutout_warning.png (12.93 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hello Cristi,

This cutout is now on the online library so maybe something got undone when that happened.

Updated the online version of cutout so all you need to do is go to your Library Manager find the cutout and click the Download button.

Thanks for the let me know.
Matt

secarica

Post by secarica »

I deleted the local library culprit file, I re-synchronised the library and yes, now everything is back to normal.

On this occasion I noticed something peculiar: if I do whatever standard cutout (say, a circle) and move the cutout over a red exclusion zone, a popup warns me about the overlap; however, if I do the same with a cutout from library, no warning will popup. True that I only tried this with just 2-3 cutouts from library (at random) and only over a simple rackmount design. Is this a known behaviour ?

Thanks anyway for the online sync tip :)
Cristi

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hello Cristi,

I tried to reproduce no warning pop up when placing a library cutout on an exclusion and wasn't able to reproduce the it.

Maybe it is a particular cutout in the library. Can you tell me which you tried?

Thanks,
Matt

secarica

Post by secarica »

• File > New > Rackmount Enclosures > Rear Bend Rackmount > OK
  • Edit Face > click on front panel
  • press P key to open Library Manager
  • Key Slot > Key Hole (...) > Place this item > place it anywhere on the grey area (i.e. valid position)
  • press Escape key so the mouse cursor returns to 'move' tool
  • move the Key Hole cutout over a red exclusion zone > nobody complaints

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hello Cristi,

I was able to reproduce the issue.

I think something is messing up with grouped cutouts and this design check. It's certainly a bug.

Thanks for let me know,
Matt