2u Case files, cheapest config and laser engraving

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

tidymax

2u Case files, cheapest config and laser engraving

Post by tidymax »

Hi Folks!

Using protocase for the first time and i want to build a 2u hardware case. Ideally i would like the option to be able to add rack ears as an optional extra.

I downloaded the 2u case off the site but the DXF throws up a load of errors when i import it into the latest version of PCD4.

Could anyone either share a working 2u file or point me in the right direction.

Also, i want the boxes to be as cost effective as possible (as always) what is the cheapest config, i.e which metal type, mild steel?! what paint, power coated black?

There may be a function that suggests value engineering once the box has been designed but i am not that far yet!

Also is it possible to add text/logo for engraving?

Cheers and have a good weekend folks

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: 2u Case files, cheapest config and laser engraving

Post by mpyne »

Hi tidymax,

Sorry to hear the dxf proved by the Template Generator did not work in PCD4. We will look into this! May I suggest using Protocase Designer. Protocase Designer is our free CAD software and I think it would help you a lot.

Protocase Designer has the following features I think will let you do everything you want;
1.) Instant quoting feature so you can check the pricing before finalizing.
2.) Several enclosure templates including a rackmount with rack ears.
3.) Ability to change rackmount properties such as the unit height to 2U
4.) Easy to use tools for adding Graphic Logos by importing SVG or Bitmap files.

download page. https://www.protocasedesigner.com/download/

Here is a quick tutorial video you can checkout. https://www.youtube.com/embed/fB_diJeNGEM?autoplay=1

If you still don't want to use Protocase Designer let me know and I can get you a file but I may need to pass you off to our Engineering and Design Services department.

Let me know if you need any help!

Matt