Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

CruzGibbs1975

Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

Post by CruzGibbs1975 »

Does anyone have Protocase Designer running on Fedora? I have used an old version in the past, but when recently trying to install 4.6.12 or 4.6.13 it will not start. The log file indicates there are problems loading the java OpenGL support libraries. It appears that it does not correctly detect the versions of OpenGL available (or possibly the version of java I have does not support OpenGL very well).
I have openjdk 1.8 installed, and also installed any package for openjdk that mentioned graphics or OpenGL in the description. I have not yet tried the Oracle version, it is a little bit of trouble to install alongside openjdk so I was saving that for a last resort, but can try if there is suspicion that openjdk does not implement the OpenGL support the same for some reason.

The OS installation is an up to date Fedora 27 installation, I installed all the mesa packages, including libGLES, jogl2, and libGLw.

This seems to be the first error in the log file in case someone has seen something similar and knows how to correct:

mrodden

Re: Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

Post by mrodden »

Hi CruzGibbs1975,

My name is Mark Rodden, and I'm a developer on Designer here at Protocase.

It looks like the error you encountered didn't come through on your original post, can you try posting that again? That might help narrow down the issue.

Designer should work on Fedora 27 with OpenJDK1.8.

The latest version of Designer available is 4.6.16, available from the Downloads page. That has some improvements to the graphics side of things that might help as well.