1U Extruded Brackets

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Panometric

1U Extruded Brackets

Post by Panometric »

All the extruded 1U housing types seem to lack 19" rackmount brackets. What is the easiest way, can off the shelf brackets be used ?

Colin

Re: 1U Extruded Brackets

Post by Colin »

Hello Panometric,

from our Design Services manager Christa:
If you are using off the shelf brackets, you would probably need us to mill and tap holes in the sides of the extrusion.
We could answer this better if we saw the brackets you were going to use.

Another option would be to avoid using brackets and edit the front panel so it extended past the sides of the extrusion and add the rack mounting slots into over hanging material.

Example picture attached
Attachments
extrusion.png
extrusion.png (140.26 KiB) Viewed 5349 times

Panometric

Post by Panometric »

Extending the front panel is a great idea, but I can't figure out how to do it in the software. If I widen the housing properties, the top and bottom also expand. And I can't seem to edit the outline of the face.

I'd like the use the Extruded D type, so the front panel needs a recess on top and bottom, which is different than your example.

Can you provide a template or instructions how to implement this idea? Thanks.

Panometric

Post by Panometric »

@Colin how do I:
[quote="Colin"edit the front panel so it extended past the sides of the extrusion and add the rack mounting slots into over hanging material.[/quote]

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey Panometric,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

Unfortunately, Designer does not have the ability to edit the face profiles in to make them larger and we do not have a template that matches what you want.

We can definitely accommodate for what you want though. I would suggest that you design your enclosure exactly as you want, except for the front panel size. When submitting your design, make a note to either your account manager, or design services member, with your extra requirements. If you let them know you would like a larger front panel, with mounting holes to mount to a rack, they will be happy to make that work for you.

If you have any other questions feel free to email us directly at designer@protocase.com

Colin