Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

ccaudle

Re: Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

Post by ccaudle »

I was able to get jdesigner working after patching and rebuilding the jogl library. I wasted quite a bit of time before I realized that jdesigner ships its own version of jogl-all.jar and doesn't use the system libraries. I couldn't figure out why one previously not working java program started working after patching and rebuilding, but jdesigner kept crashing with the same error. After I found the jogl-all.jar file in the lib directory and replaced it seems like all is working again.
I would recommend picking up the change for the next jdesigner release. I'm not sure of the schedule for 2.3.3, the patch to be applied against 2.3.2 can be found here:
https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1357#c10

dronne

Post by dronne »

Hello,
Thank you for doing so much investigation into this issue! I do not see any date tied to a release of JOGL 2.3.3 unfortunately. Have you seen anything with regards to that? Their roadmap seems to include when they started on it but not when they will finish it.

Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

dronne wrote:Hello,
I do not see any date tied to a release of JOGL 2.3.3
The last reply in the forum:
http://forum.jogamp.org/Mesa-17-2-0-ren ... 76i20.html

was basically this is becoming a big problem, affecting a lot of people, I will check with <lead dev> to see when we can make a binary release.

Also to note is that based on some comments I found elsewhere while researching this problem, it seems this problem will affect users upgrading to the latest Ubuntu if they have an AMD GPU. I think it is the change in the version string name between Mesa 17.1.x and 17.2.x that trips up the profile detection in jogl 2.3.2, so any distribution that makes that transition in versions will end up with the same problem.