Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

ccaudle

Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

Post by ccaudle »

Does anyone have Protocase Designer running on Fedora? I have used an old version in the past, but when recently trying to install 4.6.12 or 4.6.13 it will not start. The log file indicates there are problems loading the java OpenGL support libraries. It appears that it does not correctly detect the versions of OpenGL available (or possibly the version of java I have does not support OpenGL very well).
I have openjdk 1.8 installed, and also installed any package for openjdk that mentioned graphics or OpenGL in the description. I have not yet tried the Oracle version, it is a little bit of trouble to install alongside openjdk so I was saving that for a last resort, but can try if there is suspicion that openjdk does not implement the OpenGL support the same for some reason.

The OS installation is an up to date Fedora 27 installation, I installed all the mesa packages, including libGLES, jogl2, and libGLw.

This seems to be the first error in the log file in case someone has seen something similar and knows how to correct:

Code: Select all

==== exception ====java.lang.InternalErrorXXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped --- stack trace ----java.awt.event.InvocationEvent[INVOCATION_DEFAULT,runnable=com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner$$Lambda$5/758705033@2c81d732,notifier=null,catchExceptions=false,when=1516037806763] on sun.awt.X11.XToolkit@6aea2061java.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped 
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.computeProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2071)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDeviceCritical(GLProfile.java:1954)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDevice(GLProfile.java:1875)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initProfilesForDefaultDevices(GLProfile.java:1842)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.access$000(GLProfile.java:80)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile$1.run(GLProfile.java:230)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:216)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2297)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:988)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.initSingleton(GLProfile.java:216)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getProfileMap(GLProfile.java:2297)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.get(GLProfile.java:988)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getDefault(GLProfile.java:722)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.GLProfile.getDefault(GLProfile.java:733)
        at com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.GLInstance.getDefaultGLCapabilities(GLInstance.java:375)
        at com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.GLInstance.<init>(GLInstance.java:79)
        at com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.GLCanvasInstance.<init>(GLCanvasInstance.java:17)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.Editor3DGLCanvas.initCanvas(Editor3DGLCanvas.java:25)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.Editor3DCanvas.<init>(Editor3DCanvas.java:53)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.Editor3DGLCanvas.<init>(Editor3DGLCanvas.java:20)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.editor.builders.DesignerEditor3DBuilder.buildCanvas(DesignerEditor3DBuilder.java:87)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.editor.builders.Editor3DDirector.makeEditor3D(Editor3DDirector.java:35)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.Editor3DFactory.createEditor3D(Editor3DFactory.java:21)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.<init>(JDesigner.java:127)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.lambda$main$11(JDesigner.java:1310)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:756)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:726)
        at com.protocase.viewer.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(EventQueueProxy.java:39)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

dronne

Re: Anyone running Designer on Fedora?

Post by dronne »

Hello,
I have not tried it on Fedora but have done most of the development on ubuntu. I've tested it on Centos a couple of times but not recently - I will give that a shot.

Usually the issue with OpenGL and linux is that the video drivers are the open source drivers and do not support OpenGL in any real capacity. What video card do you have and what drivers do you have drivers installed for it?

Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

What video card do you have and what drivers do you have drivers installed for it?
The video card is an AMD FX 460. The driver is the amdgpu driver, drm shipped with 4.14.x kernel and mesa-libGL-17.2.4.
Mesa is reporting that API version 3.0 is supported:
$ glxinfo64 | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4

I thought this driver had support for later versions than that, but maybe I do not understand how OpenGL versions are reported. There are other strings which indicate higher than 3.0 (for example core profile is 4.5), not sure which is relevant:

$ glxinfo64 | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics (AMD POLARIS11 / DRM 3.19.0 / 4.14.12-300.rt10.1.fc27.ccrma.x86_64+
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

What version of OpenGL support is needed? The semi-proprietary driver from AMD supports OpenGL 4.5, but I'm not sure how to describe the open source driver. This is the description I found:
"the open source amdgpu/radeonsi stack does provide GL 4.5 support - the only thing it does not provide is GL 4.5 compatibility profile support, which is a feature that was added to OpenGL a few years ago to give workstation apps time to transition to core profiles."

dronne

Post by dronne »

4.5 is plenty - we require 1.2 (which in the past the default drivers did not support).

Some of our opengl library support recently changed how it deploys and I haven't tested that on fedora yet. It may be failing to find this if there is something different about their paths relative to Ubuntu.

I will test this out and get back to you.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

I am also using openjdk, that may have some differences compared to the version that Oracle packages. I thought they were pretty close to each other now, but I don't know all the details of how java gets packaged.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi ccaudle,

I don't believe that using openjdk is a problem. I have Protocase Designer 4.6.13 running on a VM using Fedora 27 using open jdk 1.8.

openjdk version "1.8.0_161"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b14)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b14, mixed mode)

glxinfo64 | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

Colin, that is good to know, and interesting that a nominally "worse" driver in the sense of an older OpenGL version is working fine with open-jdk.
Do you happen to know if it is possible to force Mesa to report an older version of the OpenGL API? I don't know what to make of this "not mapped" response in the java output:

==== exception ====java.lang.InternalErrorXXX0 profile[1]: 
GL3bc -> profile Impl GL4bc !!! not mapped --- 
stack trace ----java.awt.event.InvocationEvent[INVOCATION_DEFAULT,runnable=com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner$$Lambda$5/758705033@46dead2c,notifier=null,catchExceptions=false,when=1517535655981] on sun.awt.X11.XToolkit@78fd62cajava.lang.InternalError: XXX0 profile[1]: GL3bc -> profileImpl GL4bc !!! not mapped
Google found some other instances of that profile not mapped on some other 3D software web sites, I'll take a look and see what the conclusion was there.

I tried ProtocaseDesigner on my kids' machine, which has an older Firepro card roughly equivalent to an AMD HD5450 card. The app started, but then put up a message that there was an error, when I clicked OK to acknowledge the app shut down.

Here is the GL info from that machine:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.14-300.fc27.x86_64, LLVM 5.0.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

And the PD debug.0.log file contents, looks like more complaints about profile mapping:

<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  []                                                                                                                             
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [===============================]                                                                                              
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [==== JDesigner version 4.6.13 - Jan03,18 ====]                                                                                
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [==   git branch adea6157cadb272b6c0f864ad00fc6005ba9359c   ==]                                                                
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [==    Start at 18-02-01 19:55   ==]                                                                                           
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [Os: Linux arch: amd64 version: 4.14.14-300.fc27.x86_64]                                                                       
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [Default Encoding: UTF-8]                                                                                                      
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [Total Memory: 119MB Free Memory: 104MB Max Memory: 1742MB]                                                                    
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [available processors: 4]                                                                                                      
<silly>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [Converting Inches to Points using dpi: 96]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [JDesigner path: /opt/lib/Protocase%20Designer/jdesigner.jar]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [executable found in path: /opt/lib/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [executable dir: /opt/lib/Protocase Designer]
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [executable dir: /opt/lib/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [JDesigner path: /opt/lib/Protocase%20Designer/jdesigner.jar]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [executable found in path: /opt/lib/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getExecutableDir  [executable dir: /opt/lib/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getProgramDataDir  [program data dir: /opt/share/Protocase Designer]
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [program data dir: /opt/share/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getProgramDataDir  [program data dir: /opt/share/Protocase Designer]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getMainLibraryDir  [main library found: /opt/share/Protocase Designer/library]
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [library dir: /opt/share/Protocase Designer/library]
<silly>@com.protocase.utils.DataDirs.getLibraryDir  [user library found: /home/chris/ProtocaseDesigner/UserLibrary]
<debug>@com.protocase.viewer.DesignerFileManager.setupLogger  [personal library: /home/chris/ProtocaseDesigner/UserLibrary]
<minor>@com.protocase.library.PartsManager.loadLibraries  []
<minor>@com.protocase.library.PartsManager.loadLibraries  [====>>>> loading library - ignore unless you have a problem with library <<<<====]
<minor>@com.protocase.library.PartsManager.loadLibraries  [====>>>> in which case you should unsuppress warnings<<<<====]
<debug>@com.protocase.library.FileTreeCategory.makeNodeFromFile  [file IO error reading PDOperations]
<debug>@com.protocase.library.FileTreeCategory.makeNodeFromFile  [null]
<debug>@com.protocase.designer.reflection.YAMLPersister.importOneObjectFromYAML  [object Left Edge can't be read in]
<debug>@com.protocase.designer.reflection.YAMLPersister.importOneObjectFromYAML  [object Right Edge can't be read in]
<debug>@com.protocase.designer.reflection.YAMLPersister.extractSingleMapObject  [should only be one item for a field, cannot store maps.]
<minor>@com.protocase.library.PartsManager.loadLibraries  [====>>>> Done Loading Library <<<<====]
<silly>@com.protocase.library.PartsManager.loadLibraries  [root: /opt/share/Protocase Designer/library ver: 6]
<silly>@com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.decorations.GLDecorations.getDecorator  [Couldn't find a GLDecorator of type GLSNAPPOINT]
<silly>@com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.decorations.GLDecorations.getDecorator  [Couldn't find a GLDecorator of type SELECTION]
<silly>@com.protocase.viewer.rendering.gl.decorations.GLDecorations.getDecorator  [Couldn't find a GLDecorator of type HOVER]
==== exception ====com.jogamp.opengl.GLExceptionAWT-EventQueue-1: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2 requested (OpenGL >= 3.1). Requested: GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], current: 3.0 (Compat profile, compat[ES2], FBO, hardware) - 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4--- stack trace ----java.awt.event.InvocationEvent[INVOCATION_DEFAULT,runnable=com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.editor.Editor3D$1$$Lambda$235/368980327@23d347ec,notifier=null,catchExceptions=false,when=1517536558537] on sun.awt.X11.XToolkit@67b51da6com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: AWT-EventQueue-1: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2 requested (OpenGL >= 3.1). Requested: GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], current: 3.0 (Compat profile, compat[ES2], FBO, hardware) - 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4
        at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXContext.createImpl(X11GLXContext.java:440)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrentWithinLock(GLContextImpl.java:765)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:648)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:586)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGLImpl(GLDrawableHelper.java:1279)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGL(GLDrawableHelper.java:1147)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLCanvas$12.run(GLCanvas.java:1438)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.Threading.invoke(Threading.java:223)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.display(GLCanvas.java:505)
        at com.protocase.viewer.rendering.AbstractRenderer3D.redisplay(AbstractRenderer3D.java:265)
        at com.protocase.viewer.rendering.AbstractRenderer3D.invalidateThingToRender(AbstractRenderer3D.java:381)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.Editor3DCanvas.resetView(Editor3DCanvas.java:294)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.editor.Editor3D.resetView(Editor3D.java:203)
        at com.protocase.viewer3D.modular.editor.Editor3D$1.lambda$ancestorAdded$0(Editor3D.java:167)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
        at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:190)
        at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:235)
        at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
        at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
        at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1084)
        at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1671)
        at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1623)
        at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014)
        at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005)
        at com.protocase.utils.dialogs.informationalviewer.InformationViewer.showViewer(InformationViewer.java:83)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.startupDialogs(JDesigner.java:520)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.lambda$main$11(JDesigner.java:1313)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
==== exception ====com.jogamp.opengl.GLExceptionAWT-EventQueue-1: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2 requested (OpenGL >= 3.1). Requested: GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], current: 3.0 (Compat profile, compat[ES2], FBO, hardware) - 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4--- stack trace ----java.awt.event.PaintEvent[PAINT,updateRect=java.awt.Rectangle[x=0,y=0,width=1627,height=905]] on canvas0com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: AWT-EventQueue-1: createImpl ARB n/a but required, profile > GL2 requested (OpenGL >= 3.1). Requested: GLProfile[GL3bc/GL3bc.hw], current: 3.0 (Compat profile, compat[ES2], FBO, hardware) - 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4
        at jogamp.opengl.x11.glx.X11GLXContext.createImpl(X11GLXContext.java:440)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrentWithinLock(GLContextImpl.java:765)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:648)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:586)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGLImpl(GLDrawableHelper.java:1279)
        at jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGL(GLDrawableHelper.java:1147)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLCanvas$12.run(GLCanvas.java:1438)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.Threading.invoke(Threading.java:223)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.display(GLCanvas.java:505)
        at com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.paint(GLCanvas.java:559)
        at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paintComponent(RepaintArea.java:264)
        at sun.awt.X11.XRepaintArea.paintComponent(XRepaintArea.java:64)
        at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(RepaintArea.java:240)
        at sun.awt.X11.XComponentPeer.handleEvent(XComponentPeer.java:584)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4965)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
        at javax.swing.JOptionPane.showOptionDialog(JOptionPane.java:869)
        at javax.swing.JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(JOptionPane.java:666)
        at javax.swing.JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(JOptionPane.java:637)
        at com.protocase.utils.dialogs.OptionPane.DefaultOptionPane.showMessageDialog(DefaultOptionPane.java:19)
        at com.protocase.utils.dialogs.DialogHelper.showMessageDialog(DialogHelper.java:105)
        at com.protocase.utils.dialogs.DialogHelper.showMessageDialog(DialogHelper.java:88)
        at com.protocase.viewer.EventQueueProxy.handleGLException(EventQueueProxy.java:53)
        at com.protocase.viewer.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(EventQueueProxy.java:44)
        at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1671)
        at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1623)
        at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014)
        at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005)
        at com.protocase.utils.dialogs.informationalviewer.InformationViewer.showViewer(InformationViewer.java:83)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.startupDialogs(JDesigner.java:520)
        at com.protocase.viewer.JDesigner.lambda$main$11(JDesigner.java:1313)

ccaudle

Post by ccaudle »

Looks like it is fixed in jogl 2.3.3, but I only have jogl 2.3.2 available at the moment. I will see if I can find an updated jogl package to test.

https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1357

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi ccaudle,

"Do you happen to know if it is possible to force Mesa to report an older version of the OpenGL API?"

No, I'm not aware of a way to do this. I will get ask our lead developer, dronne, to see if he has any suggestions.

Colin