Question about origin point for Sloped Top Consolet

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

dave999z

Question about origin point for Sloped Top Consolet

Post by dave999z »

When I create a Sloped Top Consolet enclosure, then open the face editor for the top face, the red origin arrow is located about 0.34" below the bottom edge of that face. The green arrow is located where I think the origin point should be.

I must not be understanding this correctly. When I create other enclosure types (e.g., U shape), the red origin arrow makes sense to me. And when I look at other faces of this same sloped top consolet enclosure, the arrows make sense. But looking at the top face, I don't understand why the red arrow is positioned significantly off/below the face. If someone could possibly explain this, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Colin

Re: Question about origin point for Sloped Top Consolet

Post by Colin »

Hi dave999z,

the green arrows represent the origin and X-Y coordinate system of the face. The red arrows are the projection of the assembly's origin onto the face you have selected.

Could you provide a picture of what you are seeing? This would help us diagnose whether what you are seeing is expected behavior or a bug.

Colin

dave999z

Post by dave999z »

Thanks for the response. Sure, a picture is attached (hopefully). You can see the red arrow is down below (off of) the face. I'm not sure why the enclosure's origin would not be within this face.
Attachments
origin.png
origin.png (95.71 KiB) Viewed 9346 times

dave999z

Post by dave999z »

Alternatively, is there a way to just enter the coordinates for cutouts on that face in reference to the green arrow (the origin point for that face)?

I just really need to be able to enter the cutout locations on that face, but I want to get them right. I don’t want to just eye it or guess how much to offset. It seems this should be doable.

Thanks.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey dave,

the origin of this enclosure located in the corner of the 'base' part, that's why it is not within the face you are looking at. That being said, the sloped angle of the face has caused the red axis to be shifted further down than it should be. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

"Alternatively, is there a way to just enter the coordinates for cutouts on that face in reference to the green arrow (the origin point for that face)?"

There absolutely is! What you are looking for is called the 'measure tool'. Here is the documentation on how to use it to specify the coordinates of an object relative to another object: http://www.protocasedesigner.com/wiki/i ... her_object

In your case, the first object to click would the the green origin.

Hope this helps,

Colin

dave999z

Post by dave999z »

Thank you, that’s super helpful. Making progress now.

Colin

Post by Colin »

awesome, glad to hear that. Feel free to post any more questions here or send them to us at designer@protocase.com

dave999z

Post by dave999z »

Hello -

Still making progress on my enclosure and getting ready to order. I have two questions though...

First, am I correct that, with the sloped top enclosure, the measurements are viewed from directly above, parallel to the base (ground), not parallel to the sloped top? In other words, If I want particular measurements on the top sloped face, I need to use trigonometry in order to calculate what the measurement is relative to the base. (It's not difficult to do, I just want to make sure that is how it is supposed to work.)

For example, say when creating the enclosure the dimensions I entered are front height 1", base depth 3", rear height 3.65". That would result in the top sloped face (i.e., the hypotenuse) being 4". Now, when using the measure tool on the top sloped face, I should expect it to show that the top sloped face is only 3" deep (even though it is actually 4")? And if I want something to be located at 2" up the top face, the measure tool would actually show 1.5" (because it's measuring relative to the base)?

Second, I have used the text tool to enter graphics on 3 of the faces. All three are set to digital printing. All three use the same font (Arial), size (10pt), and color (white). But once I accept/save the edits to the faces and go back to the full object view, the text appears completely blurry (almost illegible) on the top and rear faces. The text on one of the side faces is pretty clear though. Any thoughts on why it is doing that? In the preferences, I have the silkscreen/digital render quality set to 100%. I can send a screenshot if helpful.

Thanks!
David

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey dave,

for your first question, no, the measurements are relative to the face you are editing. When in the 2D editor, your view is normal to that face. In your example, the face should still measure 4".

Second, this is most likely an issue with our texturer and how many pixels get allocated for a face. Could you send your file in for us to examine? You can send it directly to designer@protocase.com

Thanks for the questions, hope your enclosure is coming along well.

Thanks,
Colin

dave999z

Post by dave999z »

Hey Colin - thanks for the fast response. I'll email the file in tonight.

-David