Question regarding flush self clinching nut/additional plate

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

alext

Question regarding flush self clinching nut/additional plate

Post by alext »

I've added two supposedly flush mounting F-M3-1 self-clinching nuts to a design in a aluminium housing chassis plate specified as 2.59mm (0.102") thick. However, Protocase designer renders these as non-flush - I've attached an image of the two fasteners as they are displayed. Is the rendering correct in terms of the nut not being flush mounted in the material as I was expecting there not to be any part showing above the surface?
F-M3-1.png
F-M3-1.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
The housing has a requirement for a small additional aluminium plate 3.26mm (0.1285") thick of approximately 50x30mm to act as a thermal/heatsink contact plate in this location. My original intention was to use the flush self clinching fasteners to screw mount this plate onto the chassis plate via two M3 flat head screws or is there a better way of doing this? Would I specify this additional plate as a custom bracket, as described in http://www.protocasedesigner.com/wiki/i ... ubassembly?
I have done this but am unsure of how to place the part on the face where the PEM fasteners are located as this results in design errors due to the PEM exclusion zone overlap.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Plate.png
Plate.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
Plate3d.png
Plate3d.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

Colin

Re: Question regarding flush self clinching nut/additional plate

Post by Colin »

Hey alext,

The rendering for these flush nuts is incorrect. You are right in that they should not be protruding from either side.

After consulting with our engineering department, they have two suggestions for you. If you want the plate to make contact with the chassis, go with a self clinching stud. An example of one you could use is a FH-M3-10ZI.

If you do not want the plates to contact each other, go with a self-clinching standoff.

As for adding the plate as a sub-assembly, this is a perfectly fine way to do it. The only issue is that our software does not interpret that you want to mount the plate onto the pems. You can just leave a note on the design stating what you want done and our Engineering and Design Services department will be happy to accommodate whatever you need done. This goes for anything else you need but can't achieve with our software.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or email us directly at designer@protocase.com

Colin