Custom bends and notching tutorial

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Jenachy

Custom bends and notching tutorial

Post by Jenachy »

So I was reading through some of the documentation about bends and notching (I also watched the demo video on "what to do when a cutout is close to a bend").
What I was curious about is:
1) whether one could add bends in an enclosure designed in the software (for example to create ledges without brackets and sub-assemblies)
2) if there is any tutorial on how to make the "notches" (only examples have been found so far, but no how-to's

dronne

Re: Custom bends and notching tutorial

Post by dronne »

Hello Jenachy,
We do not yet have the ability to add bends in the software. The tricky part is figuring out how to prevent things we can't build from being designed - the constraints can be very complicated. However if you wish to do this please contact your account manager or sales@protocase.com and the should be able to help you get the design modified - not in designer but post-designer our Engineering and Design Services team will make adjustments to get you what you need.

We do not have any specific tutorials for notches. I believe you mean notches in the edge of a face or bracket? I will forward that request to the team working on the documentation.

The basics are:
  • Create a cutout the size and shape of the notch, you want, but extending further past the edge of the face you are notching.
  • Say no to the question about cutting the face. If you don't get a question when you place the cutout over the edge then open up your preferences (edit->preferences) and change the error response to Always Ask
  • Get the cutout situated at the exact location you want the notch
  • Press the Cut Face button on the right toolbar
I hope that helps!
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer