Create a STEP file

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

anmbernaldu

Create a STEP file

Post by anmbernaldu »

HI. I would like to know how can I export or create a step file from my current design, Because I need it to check the design.

Thanks.

dronne

Re: Create a STEP file

Post by dronne »

We don't currently have that ability automatically. It requires a manual translation done by our Engineering and Design Services. They can do that for anyone for a small fee, or if you order from us they will usually provide the converted files for free. If you check with your sales associate they may be able to provide one without you ordering first - especially if you need it to verify your design.

We are working on exporting to solidworks but it will still be a few months before that is ready.

My apologies for the inconvenience,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

dronne

Post by dronne »

I should mention that the small fee applies in all cases where a manual conversion of drawings to STEP is needed and I believe it is $70.

We will eventually have this done automatically in which case you will be able to do it yourself.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

strunberg

Post by strunberg »

dronne wrote:I should mention that the small fee applies in all cases where a manual conversion of drawings to STEP is needed and I believe it is $70.

We will eventually have this done automatically in which case you will be able to do it yourself.

What's the progress on this so far? I'm just currious.

dronne

Post by dronne »

We have managed a nearly functional IGES conversion. There are a couple of files this is not working on (ATX cases, Extruded Enclosures). However there is a bug with SolidWorks - they are looking into it. So if you use Siemens NX it is working fine, edrawings is fine, SolidWorks is not loading our files.

When that is solved we will release the feature.

Do you have a particular need for STEP or will IGES work for you?
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

robertor

Post by robertor »

I am also curious about this feature. Any ideas when this might be related? Thank you!

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey Robertor,

we are still evaluating our priorites. We will update you when we have a better idea.

Thanks,
Colin

robertor

Post by robertor »

Hi Colin,

Has there been any update on this? I see we are now able to export to IEGS, but this doesn't work correctly with investor.

Thanks
Rob
Colin wrote:Hey Robertor,
we are still evaluating our priorites. We will update you when we have a better idea.
Colin

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey robertor,

my apologies for not giving you an update sooner but we have actually implemented an STL and OBJ file export. Unfortunately, I don't think this are compatible with Inventor (we don't use Inventor internally).

We are still trying to improve our IGES export. We have only confirmed it works correctly for Solidworks and NX Viewer. Other people have reported software it does not work correctly on and we will try to address that as soon as we can.

With that being said, if you have a particular file you would like to view in Inventor, please send it to myself (cpoushay@protocase.com). I will try to manually convert it to a format you can use.

Thanks for your feedback,
Colin

Julia Truchsess

Post by Julia Truchsess »

Forget IGES and SolidWorks; if you support STEP everyone can use it.