Windows 10- hangs at splash screen

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

equack

Windows 10- hangs at splash screen

Post by equack »

I just installed the latest version (4.4.9). When I try to start it I see the splash screen and then it hangs. I am able to run it in a Windows XP VirtualBox but it would be much more convenient if I could run it normally. Any suggestions? Windows 10 64-bit with nVidia 660m, i7 mobile cpu.

dronne

Re: Windows 10- hangs at splash screen

Post by dronne »

Have you updated your graphics drivers? Very often when you get a new computer the graphics drivers do not support full openGL. Go to the manufacturer's site and download their latest drivers and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, go to http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ and download their extension viewer.

In the meantime, I will install Windows 10 on something and see if there are any issues particular to Windows 10.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

dronne

Post by dronne »

I've had the latest version running on several Windows 10 machines now and haven't had any problems. One person couldn't save unless they ran as administrator, but tracked it down to an upgrade problem: sometimes something gets corrupted in the permissions when upgrading.

Your issue really sounds like a graphics card driver issue.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

equack

Post by equack »

Well, I installed the latest nVidia driver and it still hangs at the splash screen. I am able to work in an XP Virtualbox (I ordered my first custom enclosure from you yesterday) but it is inconvenient. I have a 4K monitor and an nVidea GTX 660M running at 3840x2160 30hz.

equack

Post by equack »

The OpenGL extension viewer tells me I have OpenGL version 4.4, Forceware 10.18.13.5900
and DirectX version 9.0c - June 2010, 11.0

equack

Post by equack »

more info:

CPU: Intel core i7 - 3630QM @ 2.4 GHz
Memory: 16.00 GB RAM (15.95 GB usable)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home

dronne

Post by dronne »

To be more precise, does it support 1.2? Some newer tablets don't have backwards compatibility in their graphics cards. In fact, if you could give me a make a model of your computer, or run dxdiag.exe (an included program) and send me the output, that would be useful.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer