Annotating Through Holes?

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Bosef1

Annotating Through Holes?

Post by Bosef1 »

What is the preferred method for sizing and annotating through holes (like a through hole for a 6-32 screw)? Is it preferred that I size the hole with suitable clearance (ala ASME B18.2.8 or similar) and add a note indicating the screw size and drill bit size requested; or just a hole with the not of the screw size, or some other procedure altogether?

I'm working a number of metric and pre-clearance-sized schematics. If I use the schematics exactly, no two holes are the same size, and don't necessary match any standard drill bit sizes. I wanted to simply things both for my own sanity, and to help keep the manufacturing simple (I don't _need_ a bunch of special custom holes).

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe add some standard hole sizes (say #2-1in) to the Protocase Cutout Library; yes, they would just be circle cutouts, but already set at the standard sizes and matched to the standard drill bit sizes.

dronne

Re: Annotating Through Holes?

Post by dronne »

Hello,
We do not use drill bits, we use a laser. We recommend you use a hole that is about .05" larger diameter than the largest your screw would need (for paint). So a web page like http://www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm is very useful in determining what those sizes are.

If you do need to leave any notes on a hole, use the notes tool in the properties panel on the right.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer