Accept and Close doesn't work

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

melliott

Accept and Close doesn't work

Post by melliott »

I have added a USB cutout to a face, and then try to accept and close and nothing happens. I can only exit and lose the addition of the cutout.

dronne

Re: Accept and Close doesn't work

Post by dronne »

Could you send me the debug.0.log from your Documents\ProtocaseDesigner\ directory and the enclosure?

dronne@protocase.com

Thank you,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

secarica

Post by secarica »

I am facing the same non-saveable work bug (right now using this version, but happened also with other 4.4.9 builds I tried before).

I mean after editing a face, the only working option for closing the edit window is the red X button (close without saving). Clicking the green check box (close with save) does nothing [*]. Also the whole application cannot be closed [*], I have to kill the javaw.exe *32 process in task manager.

Perhaps it has something to do with the OS I am using? (Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, UAC off) At this very moment I have no other Java installed, but is it possible to install a standalone version and instruct somehow the program to use that version instead? (have no idea if this can change something, just some fun playing around and perhaps find something useful – or not)

[*] This occurs only if really editing something on a face; if, for example, I create a new design (say, a rackmount) or open an existing one, if I enter a face for editing but don't actually edit anything, then any close button just simply works.

Cristi

dronne

Post by dronne »

Hello, and sorry I took so long to respond.

If you are still having this problem, I need to know the exact steps you went through to re-create it. So what template you were using, what you added to a face, etc. Also, if you can send me the debug.0.log from your Documents\ProtocaseDesigner\ directory that would be very helpful!

Thank you, and my apologies for the trouble.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

secarica

Post by secarica »

Yes, I am still facing the problem (it never disappeared). However, I observed that this only happens to my Vista 64bit computer – I tried on a XP 32bit and the problem did not occured.

Steps: open program -> File -> New -> Rackmount Enclosures -> Rackmount -> 1U / no handles -> edit front face -> place an ellipsis -> click on green checkbox to close with save -> nothing happens -> if Cancel the edit window closes -> only way to completely close is to kill the javaw.exe task

Measure is set to mm, other program preferences I suppose are just default.

debug.0.log can be found here (trying to attach the file to this post did not seem to work).

Thank you,
Cristi

dronne

Post by dronne »

Hello,

I believe I have found the problem,
We were not handling the possible different character sets when saving the Autosave. Could you try the version at

http://www.protocasedesigner.com/RELEAS ... l28,15.exe?

Thank you!
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

secarica

Post by secarica »

Yes, now it appears to be working as expected.

Thank you very much !
Cristi

SimonP

Post by SimonP »

Hi, I have another accept and close bug issue.
I have not worked on this project for a year or so, but now I have some time to continue with it.
I was having an issue with the front face of a 10U rackmount enclosure, only 2 inch deep (similar style to an audio mixer).
I was using 4.4.8 and was unable to change text colour from Pantone Blue.
Once I had applied text, I was then unable to save and exit.
I could however apply text on the back panel and successfully close and exit.

Today I tried the latest 4.4.9 beta.
Now, I am able to change the text colour and I just created a small sample text which seemed to work OK.
I carried on with the rest of the front panel text, but when I went to accept and close, there was no response. I had to reject and close.

Here's the last entry in the debug.0.log file:
==== exception ====java.lang.OutOfMemoryErrorJava heap space--- stack trace ----java.awt.event.MouseEvent[MOUSE_RELEASED,(29,66),absolute(29,66),button=1,modifiers=Button1,clickCount=1] on frame2java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Simon.

Edit: I have just looked through my previous posts and this is basically a re-post of the same problem, albeit on a new computer now.
I think by downloading the latest 4.4.9 I should be ok as far as the advice given there is concerned.
Files should now be attached but aren't showing.

dronne

Post by dronne »

There are a couple possibilities here if you are using the latest. If the enclosure is large, and there are graphics (especially if there are graphics on multiple faces) these can take up a lot of space. You can turn down the quality of the graphics by looking for the Graphics section in your

Documents\ProtocaseDesigner\conf

file. edit this file with a text editor such as wordpad

There should be a Graphics section with a few indented items, one of which is silkscreenDisplayQuality: #

drop that number by 1 or 2 and see if you still have a problem.

If this does not exist, add it so your file has a section that looks something like

Graphics:
NeverShowSilkscreenVsDirectPrintingDialog: true
silkscreenDisplayQuality: 4
alwaysUseGraphicsType: DIRECT_PRINTING

For some reason, the files did not attach. if you still have the issue, please send the files to designer@protocase.com

Thank you,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

SimonP

Post by SimonP »

Hi Douglas,
I had emailed the files to Colin when the attachment to forum didn't seem to work.
Today I tried your suggestion of reducing the silkscreen display quality by editing the conf file.
It was set on 7, so I reduced it to 4.

Initial experiments with just some random text look hopeful so will save my work step by step as I do have a lot of text (but no graphics other than some outlines) to add.

Thanks again,

Simon.