Problems with silk screen on both sides of a panel

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

chambersj

Problems with silk screen on both sides of a panel

Post by chambersj »

I'm trying to design a 1u rack panel with silk screen text on both sides. The big problem I'm having is when I'm trying to select some text on the side I'm working on, it will sometimes select the text that is on the back side of the panel. This is a HUGE annoyance, especially if I'm trying to select multiple items to align them.

Can you make it so that only the text I can see can be selected? I spend twice as long as I should laying out these panels b/c of all the time spent trying to not select text on the other side of the panel I can't even see.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

dronne

Re: Problems with silk screen on both sides of a panel

Post by dronne »

I will look into this.

In the meantime, if you are using a current version of designer you should be able to use the layers function to fix this annoyance. If you designed the back of the panel in one layer and the front in another, you can turn off the other side's layer while you are working.

Also, depending on where the silkscreen on the back is the rackmount may need to have a screw to hold the front to the tab on the base instead of the stud that is in the normal enclosure. This could affect the price slightly.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

chambersj

Post by chambersj »

I'm currently using 4.3.1 and did not find anything about layers.

This is just a flat blanking panel so no screws, just the 2 holes on each side to mount to the rack.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

dronne

Post by dronne »

If you download the beta version found in this forum in the post new beta version, you will have layers available.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were working on the front panel of a rackmount enclosure. There are of course no issues silkscreening both sides of a plain panel.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

chambersj

Post by chambersj »

OK, found the layers but I'm already done with the panel. Is there a way to add existing items to different layers, or do you have to add the layer first then build on top of it?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

dronne

Post by dronne »

Currently there are two ways:

cut it, change the selected layer, and paste it

or

save the file, open it in a text editor, search for the text and change its layer attribute. If you have a lot of things that need to be changed, I could look at adding some functionality for this.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer