Having trouble installing on ubuntu 10.10

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

cgprosystems

Having trouble installing on ubuntu 10.10

Post by cgprosystems »

Hi all, after download, i have run install.sh, changed the local path to where the jdesigner folder is located and the installer seems to exit sucessfully, however no triggers are installed to the menu system or desktop, and cant run from command line. when i execute jdesigner.jar, the file opens to a splash screen of sorts and freezes there and never procedes. any help would be great thank you,

-JL Griffin

dronne

Re: Having trouble installing on ubuntu 10.10

Post by dronne »

Hello,
The way it should work is that a shell script ProtocaseDesigner.sh is installed in the location specified that should be able to run the jdesigner.jar with the appropriate arguments.

So after the install, you should be able to open up a console and run ProtocaseDesigner.sh provided your install location was in your path. I will at some point get around to making it add desktop entries and such but have not yet had the time. If this does not work, please let me know and I will do my best to help you.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

cgprosystems

Post by cgprosystems »

Thank you! i was anuware of protocasedesigner.sh. after running that instead of the jar itself, it opens great! thanks for the help! :D

JL Griffin

dronne

Post by dronne »

No problem, I need to add more dressings to the Ubuntu installer because as you noticed, it isn't obvious!
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

cgprosystems

Post by cgprosystems »

lol as soon as I opened up the install.sh i went duh. lol. saw right away what you were talking about. when i have a few mins ill open it up and add a basic yes/no prompt and an input box prompt ( for install path ) and a basic function to add menu triggers and desktop shortcuts, and ill email you the new bash script.

JL

cgprosystems

Post by cgprosystems »

oh and another thought... I'll try to ad a junction shortcut in the init.d folder so you can start it by typing jdesigner into a terminal

JL

edit...
not sure on this one... might require root to write to /etc/init.d hmm. I'll try to work something out none the less

dronne

Post by dronne »

Thank you, I'd be interested in any improvements you have to offer! Part of my issue is I use the Awesome tiling windows manager without a desktop (I don't like using the mouse). So I have no menu, no shortcuts, etc. I should add those standard things and a proper installer but there are so many things to work on!

If anyone does add any of these things, I will ask sales to give you a big discount.

Sincerely,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer