Issue with grouping silkscreen and PEMs

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

chambersj

Issue with grouping silkscreen and PEMs

Post by chambersj »

Here's the problem: I place a silkscreen rectangular shape on the inside surface of the bottom panel of a 1u rack mount chassis. I'm using this as a template as to where I can place certain items in this enclosure. I then place PEM studs within the silkscreen outline. This now gives me an outline of the item I will be placing in the box and studs that are located exactly where they need to be for installation. Next I select the studs and silkscreen and click group. Great! Everything moves around together so I can play with placement and orientation of my parts without having to have anything on hand. I can even copy and past since this particular enclosure will have multiple of the same item in it. I can also go back and forth from 3D view and panel edit and everything looks good. As soon as I close the program and open it and my file back up, the silkscreen is on the OUTSIDE of the panel and PEM studs are facing the inside (which is correct). Why did my silkscreen move!

If I place a silkscreen by itself it stays where I put it. But i want to create templates (outline of each item and mounting studs) for all the different items we install in these boxes.

The same goes if I save the grouped items to my library. They stay in the library until I close the program then they disappear. This happens on 4.1.8, 4.2 and 4.2.3.

Very frustrated. I spent a lot of time creating and placing template to have them all ruined and lost when I closed the program and re-opened it.

Jeremiah

dronne

Re: Issue with grouping silkscreen and PEMs

Post by dronne »

Hello Jeremiah,
I am sorry to hear you ran into difficulties with this. I have verified that there is a bug in how assemblies of items are treated when some are on the outside and some are on the inside of an object - I will endeavor to fix these as soon as possible. When that is working, I will fix your templates for you if you wish. However, I will warn you that we cannot silkscreen the inside of most enclosures because the bends get in the way of the equipment. I am adding restrictions to the templates currently.

Thank you,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

chambersj

Post by chambersj »

Thanks for the quick response! As long as I can use the grouping of silkscreen and PEM's during layout and design, I can live with not having silkscreen on the produced product. I'm just using the silkscreen to create the layout and can delete it before production.

How about the issue of my added library items disappearing after shutting down the program.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

dronne

Post by dronne »

Try the latest test version:

http://www.protocasedesigner.com/RELEAS ... c-Jan5.exe

Make a simple cutout in the cutout library, then close and re-open. That should work. Then if you have a cutout that is complex and dis-appears, try to describe what was in it and I will try to recreate the problem.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

chambersj

Post by chambersj »

I'm currently using that version. What I'm trying to save is a what I was talking about above. A silkscreen and PEM's grouped together. I can save it and see it in my library until I close the program then it's not there anymore.

dronne

Post by dronne »

Sorry, I thought it was just scrambled. I have verified that behavior and will try to fix it right away.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer