v4.1 not working for me

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

tarkan

v4.1 not working for me

Post by tarkan »

Hi,

I have installed the latest version 4.1.9 on windows 7 x64, java is x64 version.

When I startup everything seems ok, but if click on new file - the window is empty no templates at all. I also noticed that the program is not remembering my registration details.

I investigated further and noticed the following.

If I run the program as administrator, the program creates the conf and log files in the root directory of the drive (C:\ in my case) also it creates a library folder.

It is like the program is not using the Users home directory/document folder. The install process correctly installs the library templates in to the users document folder ok.

Any thoughts?

regards, Tarkan

dronne

Re: v4.1 not working for me

Post by dronne »

So to clarify, when you ran the installer normally it did not create a ProtocaseDesigner file in the My Documents folder?
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

tarkan

Post by tarkan »

Hi,

The ProtocaseDesigner folder is created in the my documents folder when installed. It is when running the program tries referencing the root of the drive instead of the users home directory.

I have done more testing and I think this is related to the computer being part of a windows domain. I get the same thing on my work computer which is Vista 32bit connected to a domain, and my home system which is also domain based.

When I install on a windows 7 machine not part of the domain everything works ok. So to get it to run I have setup a virtual machine with windows 7 and have installed it on that, as all the machines I work on are domain members.

regards, Tarkan

dronne

Post by dronne »

That is very interesting, thank you for the information. I will see if we can't set up a Domain here to try that out.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

dronne

Post by dronne »

Here is a program that can be run to identify what Java views as the user's home directory along with a bit more information. Could you run it and send me the output? I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you,
Attachments
DebugInfo.zip
Generates Info for Debugging
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

tarkan

Post by tarkan »

Hi,

Ok I have been playing around and it is definately a domain based security issue.

As a normaly user I have to install as an administrator. This causes ProtocaseDesigner to be installed for the sole use of administrator.

When I login as a normal user, and try and run the program (launcher.exe) the program cannot create the conf or other log files.

Now if I run the program again but using 'run this program as administrator' then it can create the conf and log files but they are all in the root directory.

I have run the debug java script which shows the correct home directory for my user, but the problem with that is protocase was not installed by my 'user' it was installed by an administrator account.

regards, Tarkan

dronne

Post by dronne »

Great, thank you! I should be able to alter the install process somewhat with that information. Thank you,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

tarkan

Post by tarkan »

ok great.

Little bit more info.

I setup a test administrator account and installed protocase designer. Then running the software with the same user still causes the conf and logs to be written to the root of the drive, but the debug java script displays the correct home directory path!!

I have the logs and debug txt from that user account, I will forward them to you.

Tarkan

dronne

Post by dronne »

I am pretty sure the issue is with Windows Active Directory being used for the home directory and java not comprehending what it means. I will see what I can do about it as fast as possible.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

tarkan

Post by tarkan »

Look forward to a fix. Sadly Protocase Designer running in a VM is a bad test of patience - it is very slow - and I have some pretty powerful Xeon based servers :(

regards, Tarkan