Cannot import cutout .dxf

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

patrick

Cannot import cutout .dxf

Post by patrick »

I've created a cutout in Visio that I've saved as a .dxf file.

When I try to import it, the operation does not fail. But nothing appears in the window. Similarly, when I try to place the object, nothing shows up.

This isn't a complex cutout. But trying to create it in PD has taken me over an hour. What can I do?

adesjarl

Re: Cannot import cutout .dxf

Post by adesjarl »

Same problem here.
I made several different dxf files in various software packages and none seem to import properly.

dronne

Post by dronne »

Visio used some less common dxf entities I had not yet implemented. That is fixed in the version put up yesterday (July 27th). If you have trouble importing any particular dxf files, please let me know.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

patrick

Post by patrick »

Hi there,

I've downloaded and installed version 4.1.8

Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to like the .dxf file I just tried to import from Visio.

The file is listed in the Library. But no preview image shows up and when I try to edit the item, the Cutout Editor window opens with no controls image at all. If I pass the mouse over the toolbar at the top, the control icons will appear.

If I try to place the part on one of the faces, all I see is the little red target square.

I realize that Visio is probably doing something weird with the file. I've uploaded the file that I am trying to import with this post.

For fun, I imported the .dxf into SolidWorks and then re-exported. That file I was able to open in the editor. Although when I place the part on the face of the enclosure, it shows up with dotted lines and will disappear if I try to place another part.

I'm not sure if there's something different I can do with part in Visio before I export it. But I'll try a few more things later.
Attachments
connector cutout.zip
Visio dxf export
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

dronne

Post by dronne »

Visio generated dxf files did not import properly until version 4.1.9 released wednesday evening (July 27th). I verified the dxf file you provided imports on that version.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer