installed v4.1 and can't get past splash page

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

UCEngnr

installed v4.1 and can't get past splash page

Post by UCEngnr »

I just installed the new release v4.1. My computer is running on XP with SP3, and I can't get past the splash page. The first time I opened it, i was able to, and I completed the registration form. I attempted to open a .cas file from v3.12 to see if it was backwards compatible. It didn't open so i assumed not, but then I couldn't start a new file either. So i closed the program and attempted to reopen it. No such luck since then. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing. Any ideas on how to fix?

dronne

Re: installed v4.1 and can't get past splash page

Post by dronne »

With internet connections that are either slow or far from our servers, the new designer stalled checking for updated libraries. I just put in a fix which will hopefully be up tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience!
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

jaikumarm

Post by jaikumarm »

same problem here, with vers 4.1.0 for the last two days :(

UCEngnr

Post by UCEngnr »

I've still not managed to launch the program successfully. I updated Java, updated my graphics card driver, have a good internet connection. Not sure what else I can do. I guess I'll just use v3.12 for a while longer :)

patrick

Post by patrick »

I found that I had to download and install the 64bit version of Java for software to work on my 64bit Win7 system. Seems to be working fine.

Now I just need to learn how to use it. :mrgreen:

UCEngnr

Post by UCEngnr »

I uninstalled, deleted the registry file, and then re-installed. That did the trick, but I don't know if it was the registry file, or an update to the program. I noticed when dowloading the install file it said v4.1.5 The splash page still says 4.1.0 though so I'm not sure.

dronne

Post by dronne »

I found with connections or firewalls that didn't respond fast enough, the program hung and that was fixed in 4.1.5 so that may have been it. The other reason for hanging has been the wrong java installation. It is unfortunate that the Java documentation on their website says that if you have 32bit Internet Explorer you should have 32 bit Java. This may be true for the java plugin but it is not true for other programs - any program that uses external libraries such as the OpenGL libraries should use the 64 bit version of java if the computer is running a 64 bit operating system.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

secarica

Post by secarica »

I also cannot do anything with version 4.1.7. The program opens fine, for the moment I skipped the registration, but when trying to open an existing .cas file nothing happens, and the "New" dialog opens a blank window.

I'm on Windows Vista 64 bit, Java 64 is installed for sure ("Java(TM) 6 Update 26 (64-bit)"), Protocase Designer installed to the C:\Program Files\ directory, which is the one holding 64 bit applications.

The graphic card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, which drivers are provided by HP. The AMD/ATI site does not provide directly any drivers for mobile products.

The internet connection is fine (optical fiber from my building to provider), but I also don't understand what has to do the internet here, at least when opening an existing drawing. This means that I cannot continue to work on a drawing when I am on move with my laptop ?

:?:

Cristi

dronne

Post by dronne »

The only reason the internet connection had anything to do with it was that there are a couple of queries made at the beginning to see if any of the parts have been updated. There was a bug such that if a person had a poor connection (no connection wasn't a problem) it would basically hang. This has been resolved in the current version.

I have also made improvements to the launcher that accounts for some of the less common computer configurations that may appear. Please give it a try again. If you still have trouble, let me know. I am sorry for the slow response, the notifications for this forum seem to have stopped working. I will check it regularly from now on.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer