Manufacturer exclusion zone too restrictive on 1U cases

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

tigerand

Manufacturer exclusion zone too restrictive on 1U cases

Post by tigerand »

Hello,

I would like to design some 1U cases, but when attempting to place cutouts on the front face of 1U case, so much of the face is excluded that I cannot accomplish the design. I think all but the area immediately around the rack mounting holes on the flange should be unrestricted. For example, I would like to place grill openings that span all but 1/8" at the top and bottom of the face, which I think is quite reasonable and normal. But with half the face restricted, obviously that's a problem. Also, I'd like to place cutout(s) for front panel switch/LED assemblies fairly near the top of the panel, but they currently would be completely withing the exclusion zone. There just doesn't seem to be any need to exclude half the face.

That's bad. But there's also an odd rectangular bump in the exclusion zone in the middle of the front face that extends almost up to the center (vertically) of the case. That's also got to go :)

dronne

Re: Manufacturer exclusion zone too restrictive on 1U cases

Post by dronne »

The exclusion zones in the current Protocase Designer have to do for the PEMS (self clinching fasteners such as studs and nuts) as well as cutouts. While a cutout could come closer to the top of the case than is allowed, a standoff or stud or nut could not. Also, on edges near bends, there is a minimum distance from the bend for a cutout (unless it goes all the way to the bend). Therefore if you wish cutouts in this region, please send tech@protocase.com an email and describe the cuts in detail. They can tell you whether they can be done, provide estimates of cost manually, and add them to the design after it is submitted.
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer