Unable to accurately scale SVG graphics in PD.

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Chris Knudsen

Unable to accurately scale SVG graphics in PD.

Post by Chris Knudsen »

V5.3.28

While placing our SVG logo I noticed that there are no convenient ways to enter image size.

And even less convenient, is that PD seems to resize/re-scale the image when it's imported... so, it is always necessary to re-scale when placing a new image.

Currently, one can only enter the origin.

Re-scaling must be done with a mouse (cannot enter distance/coordinates anywhere). This is complicated by the fact that the aspect ratio has been changed by PD during import, and the X:Y aspect cannot be locked.
svg-dims.png
svg-dims.png (86.83 KiB) Viewed 12359 times

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Unable to accurately scale SVG graphics in PD.

Post by mpyne »

Hey Chris,

The aspect ratio not coming in not correctly and is a bug if it is happening.

Good point it would be good to have a tool were you can change the scale exactly. I'll add this for a future feature.

Thanks,
Matt

Chris Knudsen

Post by Chris Knudsen »

Opening the file with Inkscape on the left. PD on the right.

No changes made in either program on opening/importing.

The PD SVG import looks to be 'square'.
goodtobesquare.PNG
goodtobesquare.PNG (113.26 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
Last edited by Chris Knudsen on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

ah. Looks like it normalizes to 1:1 ... for some reason but that is wrong. Will get a bug fix in to keep the proper aspect ratio. 8-)

Matt

dkonigs

Post by dkonigs »

Okay, its been two years. This bug is still there, as are all of the complaints over SVG handling mentioned above.

If I actually care about correctly sized/scaled SVGs, it seems like the only way involves knowing the aspect ratio of the visible content, and manually editing the right part of the .pda file in a text editor to adjust the scaling of the graphic element.

I would not expect any normal user to be able to figure out how to do this, and it feels like practically a miracle that I'm even able to do so. (and only possible because the tool uses plaintext data files)