Major bug in 6.022 (for Windows)

For general Protocase Designer questions. Anything and everything about Protocase Designer except support questions.

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

sharx

Major bug in 6.022 (for Windows)

Post by sharx »

When designing any kind of bracket (for example L-bracket), after you add a 3D component from a Step file and complete your design and save it, all z offsets for the added 3D models are erased and set to zero, collapsing whatever structure was designed.

So after every save and restart of the design (or crash of protocase designer), I have to go to face editor, select each imported 3D component, and add the z offset to make the model look right again.

Presumably this won't affect the actual bracket once the design is complete... but this means you have to complete the design in one session, which is difficult when this beta version crashes sometimes.

I now have to keep a cheat sheet of all the z offsets for imported components and keep re-entering them

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Major bug in 6.022 (for Windows)

Post by mpyne »

Hello sharx

I will look into this. I am able to reproduce the bug so it should be a quick fix. :)

Thanks,
Matt

sharx

Post by sharx »

Wonderful, looking forward to continuing my design. This is our 10th project with Protocase but the first one with Protocase Designer 6

cduffney

Post by cduffney »

Hi Sharx,

We have a new version of Protocase Designer ready for download containing the fix to the bug you've been encountering. You can download this new version from https://www.protocasedesigner.com/download

Please let us know if your issue is resolved using this new version.

Thanks,
Coady

sharx

Re: Major bug in 6.022 (for Windows) - fixed

Post by sharx »

Excellent, thanks for the quick fix, it works now.

A related request, not anywhere near as urgent: when you group imported items together, it seems you no longer have a place to add a z offset. This is not a show-stopper because you can ungroup, then go to each item in the group and adjust z offset individually.

Also another quick item: The PEM editor is nice, allows you to add fasteners to the correct places for easy attachment of imported 3D items. However, some imported items may need simple holes (cutouts) instead of nuts. Right now I can add the PEMs and place the imported items and everything moves nicely as I reposition the imported item except I have to manually reposition the related cutouts, unless I'm missing something.

Again, thanks for the fix as it will allow us to complete a design and hopefully submit it for production today.

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hello Sharx,

The ability to modify the z offset for components even in a group would be helpful and I think we did have it in version 5.

We have talked internally about adding a IO/etc cutouts that would follow components. Defiantly would be handy. Maybe a future feature release. :)

Matt