Transparent 3D objects?

Bulletins and Comments about future work on Protocase Designer

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

djtazzmtl

Transparent 3D objects?

Post by djtazzmtl »

Hi it would be nice if the 3D components we place can have a transparency level so when in the 2d view when we edit we can align the cutouts underneath.

Chris Knudsen

Re: Transparent 3D objects?

Post by Chris Knudsen »

One work-around I found for this is to place cutouts/labels on one side of the panel, and the 3D object on the other side of the panel.

The unfortunate side-effect is that when working on the cutout/label side of the panel, you cannot see the 3D component (and how it conflicts or clears the cutouts). However, it does render properly in the overall (main) view.

If you do place the 3D component on the same side as labels, then you may need to 'send to back' the 3D component so that it passes the problem checker without issue. Otherwise, the Problem Checker complains about the 3D component covering up the labels (even though the math & reality shows otherwise). Invoking 'send back' does not fix the display issue the OP describes.

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hello Chris,

Can you include a picture of what you are seeing. Am not 100% clear on what is happening.

Thanks,
Matt

Chris Knudsen

Post by Chris Knudsen »

If a 3D Component is placed on the same side of a panel with labeling then the 3D component blocks the view of the labeling and cutouts.

This blocking-of-view seems to happen even if the 3-d coordinates are correct, and the line of sight of the labeling/cutouts should not actually be blocked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The work-around that I used was to place the 3D component using Edit Face on the opposite side (Inside) of the back panel.

Here's one:
00.png
00.png (112.81 KiB) Viewed 19480 times
Notice how the 3D component is placed, and the Ethernet jack is viewable through the back panel cutout. The Ethernet jack actually extends through the panel, and out the back by ~10-30 mils.

Labels/Cutouts are placed using the Face Editor on the Outside of the back panel. The 3D Component is placed using the Face Editor on the Inside of the back panel.

However, there's a price to pay: when you switch to 'Edit Face' on the Outside of the panel - where the labels and cutouts are, the 3D Component disappears from view.
01.png
01.png (80 KiB) Viewed 19480 times
(The gray rectangle you see there is not part of the 3D component, but part of a separate library element placed on the outside of the back panel.)
This makes it a bit harder to place labeling, and confirm placements while in the Edit Face mode.

However, when you switch back to the overall view (i.e. exit the Face Editor), the 3D component still exists, and everything looks to be well-represented (the first picture in this post).

So, there are some irritating bugs here, no matter which path you choose. I found that my work around was easier to manage than the issue that the OP was describing.

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Try the component outline detail slider. Circled in this picture.

component visibility.png
component visibility.png (249.83 KiB) Viewed 19476 times

Chris Knudsen

Post by Chris Knudsen »

No joy:
Face Editor
Rear Panel Face Editor 2_9_2021 8_24_59 AM.png
Rear Panel Face Editor 2_9_2021 8_24_59 AM.png (56.18 KiB) Viewed 19474 times
Overall:
Protocase Designer - C__Users_Chris_Documents_ner_templates_Protocase_Pulser_Pulser_P10_V60.pda 2_9_2021 8_27_32 AM.png
Protocase Designer - C__Users_Chris_Documents_ner_templates_Protocase_Pulser_Pulser_P10_V60.pda 2_9_2021 8_27_32 AM.png (68.68 KiB) Viewed 19474 times
Protocase Designer - C__Users_Chris_Documents_ner_templates_Protocase_Pulser_Pulser_P10_V60.pda 2_9_2021 8_27_49 AM.png
Protocase Designer - C__Users_Chris_Documents_ner_templates_Protocase_Pulser_Pulser_P10_V60.pda 2_9_2021 8_27_49 AM.png (68.1 KiB) Viewed 19474 times

Chris Knudsen

Post by Chris Knudsen »

What does this do? Is it relevant?
090.png
090.png (43.95 KiB) Viewed 19473 times

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Huh. Looks like something is not working :oops: Maybe you can send the component file for me to test? You can send it to my email if it's confidential. mpyne@protocase.com

Any way this is what you should see.
component visibility2.PNG
component visibility2.PNG (146 KiB) Viewed 19471 times
Basically an outline of your component should be shown in the face editor and the slider adjusted how much you see. I have attached Arduino Nano to the chassis base face and opened rear face in the face editor.

The Cut Face option I think is no longer used and should be removed. We automatically cut the face with any cutouts placed on the boundary but in the past users had to tell it to. I'll remove this for the next release. :)

Thanks,
Matt

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Ah I see what you did. The outline detail only works on components attached to "Other" faces. You component was attached to the rear but placed from the other side. I'll have to think about this but yea it would be nice to see the outline on the other side in this case for sure. Not sure when we will get around to fixing this but I'll try and revisit it in the future.

Thanks for the thorough documentation. It helped me understand a lot.

Matt