Importing other CAD formats??

Bulletins and Comments about future work on Protocase Designer

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

edward78

Importing other CAD formats??

Post by edward78 »

Why not there are many formats out there, some open... Why just 2d .dxf & a few Protocase only formats??

Colin

Re: Importing other CAD formats??

Post by Colin »

Hey Edward,

unfortunately, it is just a matter of resources. There are many features our software team would like to implement for our users but we have to balance this with the demands of other software projects within our company.

Which file formats do you usually work with? Inside the company, we use a Solidworks Addin to convert parts from any format Solidworks can import, to the Protocase Designer format. If it is of use, you could send me your file and I could try converting it, or possibly we could distribute the Add-in for our customers.

Thanks,
Colin

edward78

Post by edward78 »

I heard you guys are working on other file support for Protocase Designer...

dronne

Post by dronne »

Hello Edward,
We are currently working on an export to IGES file. We are also working on an import and export from SolidWorks. The import and export to/ from SolidWorks will be somewhat restricted in that you will need a fairly recent copy of SolidWorks to use it. It will be an AddIn for SolidWorks. Also, for the import, there are some standards that we will have to stick to with respect to model design.

Will either of these be of use to you or do you need something like an import from IGES file? Or some other format?

Thank you,
--Douglas Ronne
Lead Developer

Mobro

Post by Mobro »

Hello! I am new to Protocase Designer and since it appears that very few are interested in other CAD formats, can I assume that other than the IGES format, you will NOT be making any other import/output converters? I am a hobbyist and let's be honest here, SolidWorks is way out of my league! Any other available info?
Thanks
Mobro

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hey Mobro,

we have an STL file import working that should be available in the next release. Have you found any of our templates useful to you or are you looking for something else?

Colin

Julia Truchsess

Post by Julia Truchsess »

I would like to be able to export and import STEP. STL would be nice, but I can convert between them myself so not a huge deal. IGES is a horrible format that always seems to make a mess. I think spending time on SolidWorks format is pointless, since anyone with SolidWorks can design their enclosures in it and won't be using Protocase. STEP is fast-becoming the standard platform-agnostic format.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Julia,

thanks for your feedback on different CAD file formats. We are happy to let you know the next release of Designer will include the ability to export STEP (and iges) files. Designer also will have the ability to import these file types but the models will not be able to be edited.

Colin