Text Justification would be really useful.

Bulletins and Comments about future work on Protocase Designer

Moderators: Colin, dronne, mpyne, akirk, mrodden

Chris Knudsen

Text Justification would be really useful.

Post by Chris Knudsen »

Guests and fish... but here it goes anyway:

The one single thing that Altium (www.altium.com) has done right in the last 5 years is Text Justification.

https://www.altium.com/documentation/al ... perties-ad

When you place text, you are allowed to specify one of a 9-way justification property.

This is really useful for labels that should center on features (like the Y-coord of a LED or switch hole). Pretty good for labeling rotary switches as well.

This also makes it so that you no longer need to remember to run "Align" after changing the text contents, as long as the justification is set properly.

Also makes inspection (QA) of the panel easier to digest, because justified text will all have the same X or Y coordinates.
justify_me.PNG
justify_me.PNG (57.7 KiB) Viewed 11263 times

mpyne
Site Admin

Re: Text Justification would be really useful.

Post by mpyne »

Hello Chris,

I think this is cool idea. We added this to our development plan for the future.

It's cool how ideas from our users help us develop the software. :)

Thanks,
Matt

dkonigs

Post by dkonigs »

Its been nearly two years. It would be nice if this feature was there already. The closest we seem to have is that weird hack with the measure tool, that's described on the website.

Keeping consistent and sensible relationships between label text and enclosure features is way too awkward and fiddly.

mpyne
Site Admin

Post by mpyne »

Hey dkonigs,

I just mentioned this to our marketing team and planning to talk about this tomorrow in detail with them. I'll update you tomorrow on the outcome.

Matt